A14 Bionic 5-nanometre chip with advanced components literally atoms wide. Forty per cent more transistors rev up speeds while increasing efficiency. And ISP powers Dolby Vision recording.
NASA is using LiDAR technology for its next Mars landing. The Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max uses a LiDAR scanner to measure how long it takes light to reflect back from objects. So it can create a depth map of whatever space you’re in. Because it’s ultra-fast and accurate, AR apps can now transform a room into a realistic rainforest or show you how a new trainer will fit.
Pro camera system
Night mode comes to both the Wide and Ultra Wide cameras, and it’s better than ever at capturing incredible low-light shots. LiDAR makes Night mode portraits possible. And the Wide camera lets in 27 per cent more light, for greater detail and sharper focus day or night.
12 Pro Max. Camerus maximus
The bigger Apple iPhone maxes out the Pro camera system. A 47 per cent larger sensor and larger pixels dramatically increase the amount of light gathered on the Wide camera. The OIS stabilises the sensor instead of the lens so your shots are steady even when you’re not. And the 65mm Telephoto camera lets you zoom in tighter on portraits.
Portraits that come out at night.
Night mode portraits on the Wide camera give you vivid colour, as well as beautiful bokeh that accentuates lit buildings, streetlights any background lights.
Even with a single small light source, LiDAR and the A14 Bionic can render every pattern and texture in the foreground along with realistic colour throughout the room.
Deep Fusion kicks in for low- to mid-light scenes. The Neural Engine analyses multiple exposures pixel by pixel to bring out unprecedented detail in the magnifying glass, the woman and the wall.
Portrait mode, fine-tuned.
Machine learning on the Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max is even better at separating the subject from the background. And creative controls let you adjust the background blur and light on faces.
More detail. In the blink of AI.
Smart HDR 3 automatically refines highlights, shadows and contours. Even at midday, you can see detail in her face and shadows that graduate all the way to true black.
Smart HDR 3 captures every bit of golden hour magic, pulling out all the texture in the rock, while staying true to the subtle blues of the sky.
Smart HDR 3 dials in the white balance, and the sea foam holds its shape and definition despite all the motion.
Beyond faces, Smart HDR 3 uses machine learning to recognise scenes, so it can bring out the cracks in the ground and the roughness of the hill without increasing noise in the sky.
Shot on iPhone 12 Pro Max.
2.5x optical zoom on the 65mm Telephoto camera lets you see all that close‑up detail without being right next to your subject.
Bigger pixels on the Wide camera help reveal intricate patterns, subtle textures and incredible detail throughout the shot even when you’re shooting in available light.
Colours are remarkably true to life in almost any light, like all the translucent reds in her outfit, and the saturated neon hues of the diner behind.
Dolby Vision recording
Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max jumps from 8- to 10‑bit HDR recording, capturing 700 million colours for much more lifelike video. Then it goes one better, recording in Dolby Vision the format used by film studios. You can even edit Dolby Vision video and use AirPlay to see every last bit of the difference on the big screen.
Now every night is movie night.
The Wide camera’s larger sensor brings far more detail out of the shadows. And for the first time, you can take Night mode Time‑lapse videos with a tripod to capture scenes with dramatic motion. Now even your movies can pull an all-nighter.
Night mode comes to the front camera, bringing all that low-light detail and natural colour to your favourite subject. Deep Fusion, Smart HDR 3 and Dolby Vision recording are now on the TrueDepth camera too. So you’ll look your best in any light.
Super Retina XDR display
A unique design with flat edges and the flexible custom OLED allows it to push the screen’s amazing colour, brightness and contrast right to the very edge.
Privacy is built in
The Apple iPhone is designed to protect your information. Face ID data doesn’t leave your Apple iPhone and is never backed up to iCloud or anywhere else. iOS shows you an app’s privacy practices before you download it. When you use Apple Pay, your card number isn’t shared with merchants. And the list goes on.
- A14 Bionic chip
- Next-generation Neural Engine
- 6.7‑inch (diagonal) all‑screen OLED display
- 2778x1284-pixel resolution at 458 ppi, 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio, Super Retina XDR display, Haptic Touch
- HDR, True Tone, Wide colour (P3), 800 nits max brightness (typical); 1,200 nits max brightness (HDR), Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
- Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
- TrueDepth Camera
- 12-megapixel photos and 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps
- Retina Flash, ƒ/2.2 aperture, Portrait mode with advanced bokeh and Depth Control
- Portrait Lighting with six effects (Natural, Studio, Contour, Stage, Stage Mono, High‑Key Light Mono)
- Animoji and Memoji, Smart HDR 3 with Scene Detection, Lens correction, Auto image stabilisation
- Extended dynamic range for video up to 30 fps, Cinematic video stabilisation (4K, 1080p and 720p)
- Wide colour capture for photos and Live Photos, Burst mode, QuickTake video, Night mode, Deep Fusion
- HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 30 fps, Slo‑mo video support for 1080p at 120 fps
- Time-lapse video with stabilisation, Night mode Time‑lapse
- Video Recording
- HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 60 fps
- 4K video recording at 24 fps, 30 fps or 60 fps, 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps, 720p HD video recording at 30 fps
- Extended dynamic range for video up to 60 fps, Slo-mo video support for 1080p at 120 fps or 240 fps, Time-lapse video with stabilisation, Night mode Time-lapse
- Optical image stabilisation for video (Wide), 2.5x optical zoom in, 2x optical zoom out; 5x optical zoom range, Digital zoom up to 7x, Brighter True Tone flash
- Cinematic video stabilisation (4K, 1080p and 720p), Continuous autofocus video, Audio zoom, QuickTake video, Sensor-shift optical image stabilisation
- Take 8MP still photos while recording 4K video, Playback zoom, Stereo recording, HEVC and H.264 video formats recorded
- iSight Camera
- Pro 12MP camera system: Ultra Wide, Wide and Telephoto cameras
- Ultra Wide: ƒ/2.4 aperture and 120° field of view, Wide: ƒ/1.6 aperture, Telephoto: ƒ/2.2 aperture
- 2.5x optical zoom in, 2x optical zoom out; 5x optical zoom range
- Digital zoom up to 12x, Portrait mode with advanced bokeh and Depth Control, Night mode portraits enabled by LiDAR scanner
- Portrait Lighting with six effects (Natural, Studio, Contour, Stage, Stage Mono, High‑Key Light Mono), Dual optical image stabilisation (Wide and Telephoto), Five-element lens (Ultra Wide); six‑element lens (Telephoto); seven-element lens (Wide)
- Brighter True Tone flash with slow sync, Panorama (up to 63MP), Burst mode, Photo geotagging
- Sapphire crystal lens cover, 100% Focus Pixels (Wide), Night mode (Ultra Wide, Wide), Deep Fusion (Ultra Wide, Wide, Telephoto)
- Wide colour capture for photos and Live Photos, Smart HDR 3 with Scene Detection
- Lens correction (Ultra Wide), Advanced red-eye correction, Auto image stabilisation, HEIF and JPEG Image formats captured
Video and Audio Calling:
- FaceTime video calling over Wi‑Fi or a mobile network, FaceTime HD (1080p) video calling over 5G or Wi‑Fi
- FaceTime audio, Voice over LTE (VoLTE), Wi-Fi Calling
- Audio formats supported: AAC‑LC, HE‑AAC, HE‑AAC v2, Protected AAC, MP3, Linear PCM, Apple Lossless, FLAC, Dolby Digital (AC‑3), Dolby Digital Plus (E‑AC‑3), Dolby Atmos and Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX and AAX+)
- Spatial audio playback, User-configurable maximum volume limit
TV and Video:
- Up to 4K HDR AirPlay for mirroring, photos and video out to Apple TV (2nd generation or later) or AirPlay 2–enabled smart TV
- Supports HDR with Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HLG
- Video mirroring and video out support: up to 1080p through Lightning Digital AV Adapter and Lightning to VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)
- Video formats supported: HEVC, H.264, MPEG‑4 Part 2 and Motion JPEG
Mail Attachment and File Support:
- Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel); .zip; .ics; .usdz (USDZ Universal)
Cellular and Wireless:
- Wi‑Fi 6 (802.11ax) with 2x2 MIMO
- 5G, Gigabit LTE with 4x4 MIMO and LAA, Bluetooth 5.0 wireless technology, NFC with reader mode
- Express Cards with power reserve, Ultra Wideband chip for spatial awareness
- Model A2411 - 5G NR (Bands n1, n2, n3, n5, n7, n8, n12, n20, n25, n28, n38, n40, n41, n66, n77, n78, n79), FDD‑LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 30, 32, 66), TD‑LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48), CDMA EV‑DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz), UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- Dual SIM (nano-SIM and eSIM) support
- iOS 14
- Built-in GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS and BeiDou
- Digital compass, iBeacon micro-location, Wi‑Fi, Mobile data
- Face ID, LiDAR scanner, Barometer. Three-axis gyro, Accelerometer, Proximity, Ambient light sensors
- 160.8 x 78.1 x 7.4 mm
- 226 grams
- Apple ID (required for some features)
- Internet access
- Syncing to a Mac or PC requires:
- Mac: macOS Catalina 10.15 or later using the Finder, macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 to macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later
- PC: Windows 7 or later using iTunes 12.10.10 or later